speakup doesn't work on all systems. (fwd)

Raul A. Gallegos raul at asmodean.net
Mon May 7 20:27:59 EDT 2001

Raul A. Gallegos
Email: raul at asmodean.net	icq#: 5283055
msn: ragallegos at hotmail.com	aim: raulagallegos

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 4 May 2001 05:18:00 -0500 (CDT)
From: Raul A. Gallegos <raul at asmodean.net>
To: speakup at braille.uwo.ca
Subject: Re: speakup doesn't work on all systems.

Not silly at all.  I had the same problem with a laptop and using the
older speakup.  To fix this try doing one of two things.

1.  boot up with a windows/dos disk and at the prompt type mode
com1:9600,n,8,1 which will initialize your com1 port.

2.  At the kernel lilo loader prompt to boot linux try forcing a probe
with the older speakup the line would be
linux speakup_ser=0

This means you are booting the linux kernel and telling speakup the serial
number is on serial0 which is the first serial port.

Go ahead and email back in case these suggestions do not work.   I think I
have written another way to do this but it's 5 in the morning now and the
only reason I'm up this early doing email is because I was woken up from a
work call *smile*.