FW: THE INFOWORLD SCOOP P.M. EDITION, Wednesday, March 28, 2001

Kirk Wood cpt.kirk at 1tree.net
Wed Mar 28 19:06:14 EST 2001

I didn't see the article that Frnak mentioned, but MSNBC had an article
about the suposed virus that can infect both Linux and Windows. The first
thing I noticed is that only a single virus scanner company was
named. McAffee said they had heard rumors, but they haven't seen it. I
also checked Norton, and Computer Assosiates (Cheyenne) and neither has
any mention of this supposed virus.

The article explains that it is written in assembly bypassing operating
system specifics. But even my limited knowledge of the subject says there
are still problems. Certain headers must be in place to get by the OS
durring initial load.

I will take a wait and see attitude. But then again, I have never (even
once) launched a program inside Linux from email or something like
that. Since it would have to carry a file extension of like .com, .exe,
.scr or something to launch in winblow, it would seem suspect to try it in
Linux. Then again some dorks getting into linux might.

=======
Kirk Wood
Cpt.Kirk at 1tree.net

Nothing is hard if you know the answer or are used to doing it.