finding my own IP address

Charles Hallenbeck chuckh at mhonline.net
Mon Mar 26 10:07:57 EST 2001

I have created an executable script called "onl" which I keep in
/usr/local/bin, whose contents are written when "ip-up" is run and written
again when "ip-down" is run. The ip-up script is handed the local IP
address when a connection is completed, and normally it wants to write it
to the console. I write it to the file "onl" instead, as part of an echo
statement. When I am connected and type "onl" at a prompt, I am told
"connected as 204.97.156.66" or whatever. When my connection is closed,
"ip-down" places a new message in "onl" so now it says "online not
connected".

That way I can use dial-on-demand with a dynamic IP and have that address
available whenever I need it.

Chuck

My web site is http://www.mhonline.net/~chuckh