Linux & windows question (fwd)

Scott Howell showell at lrxms.net
Sat Mar 10 19:33:44 EST 2001

I hate to ask this here, but please have a little mercy on me.

I had a windows 98 partition and then I installed Linux behind it.

Now windows 98 as it likes to do, has killed itself. Yeah, no blue screen
here, but no a black screen with a little cursor. In any case I tried
installing the evil thing again, but once you get to the point where it
starts copying stuff the the drive it needs to perform the installation,
it hangs.

Now, I suspect, but have not tried to test this theory, but it must have
something to do with the fact that old bloatware is no longer in the mbr,
but instead lilo is.

So, this might be the cause of the problem.

So, could anyone confirm this? I really hate to do anything that would
mess up my perfect Linux partition.

I really hate to say this, but until there's a talking X server, I need
windows for my online banking and a few other but very few apps.

My wife though uses Gnome but she's sighted so speech isn't a problem for
her.
Ay, she's even getting the hang of it. I got my sister pretty well
converted as well. Yes!!!!
Ok, so what I propose to do is run fdisk -MBR and reset the mbr, then
install the evil thing, then use a boot floppy to bring up Linux, and then
re-run lilo.

Do you all think this would do the job?

Has anyone ever installed windows as a secondary os to Linux? I'd prefer
this really.

tnx