wait a minute

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Sun Mar 4 16:07:19 EST 2001

I'm not using a smart host at all. I'm not sure exactly how I'm
routing--should probably send some messages to check it out, but I'm
definitely able to send without a hitch--except when I'm in the office.
Whilst I'm in the office, my connection is via eth0 with a 192.168.x.y
address, and I'm configured as toccata.grg.afb.net. I think that's a clue
as it might be trying to deliver locally--which is where the bottleneck is
when I fetchmail. No local delivery. Everything is blocked--according to
mail in root it's some kind of port denial. So, I think my problem is all
local, not at all with external definitions.

PS: I'm using this machine right now and writing you guys with no
broblems. There's no smart host, and no smtp definition in the pine
config. But I can't fetchmail. Fetchmail looks like it's working
perfectly--goes through the list of mail, says it's flushing, etc. It just
fails eventually as stuff isn't delivered.

If you're curious, I'm snatching my mail over ftp (as a single file from
/var/mail/janina on my server at afb.net) and using

	cat janina >>/var/mail/janina

to deliver it to myself. Hokey, but it works.

				Janina Sajka, Director
				Technology Research and Development
				Governmental Relations Group
				American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)

janina at afb.net
(202) 408-8175
http://www.afb.org/gov.html

The invention of the printing press has been named the crowning achievment
of the past millenium. Yet, electronic publishing will soon eclipse it.
Read our White Paper: "Surpassing Gutenberg" available at:

	http://www.afb.org/ebook.html

Are you developing software? Make it accessible to blind computer users.
Read http://www.afb.org/technology/accessapp.html to learn how.