kernel 2.2.18 help please

Geoff Shang gshang at uq.net.au
Sun Mar 4 22:01:44 EST 2001

Hi:

OK, one question at a time.  The PPP and network card modules.  Did you do
a "make modules" and "make modules_install" when you compiled the kernel?
If not, that's why it's not working.  You should be able to go to your
kernel tree and just do this and reboot.

With the dsp thing, first we need to determine where the problem is.  Do
you get this error if you try playing a file as root?  If not, then you
need to put yourself in the group that owns the device.  It's probably
audio.  Do:

ls -l /dev/dsp0

It's probably owned by root and the audio group.  Take a look in /etc/group
to see if you're in the appropriate group.  The format of the group file
is:

<group-name>:x:<group-ID>:<user1>,<user2>,<user3>

For example, my audio entry looks like this:

audio:x:29:geoff,amanda

You'll need to ensure that your user-level account is in the group that has
write permission to the dsp0 device.  You'll want to ensure that the
permissions on this device are something like:

crw-rw----

You'lll want to check this for /dev/audio0 as well.

Let me know if I've lost you <grin>

As for OCR, there seem to be 2 options available.  The ocrshop thing I've
not fiddled with but it seems to be a goer if you want to pay US$100.  It
apparently has the omnipage 8 OCR engine.  The other is a GPL project
called gocr (or jocr, depending on who you ask).  It has some way to go in
quality, but hey it's free.  From what I've heard, ruby pretty much leads
the way in OCR, so anything else pretty much is going to pull up short (I'm
happy to be contradicted on this though).

Geoff.