help with local email

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Sun Mar 4 14:10:51 EST 2001

Chuck:

Please advise if that does give you the results you're looking for. I'm
going to need to solve the same issue myself once I get my more
fundamental current issue resolved! <grin>
 On Sun, 4 Mar 2001, Charles
Hallenbeck wrote:

> Thanks for the suggestion, Janina. I will look into that and see if it
> helps.
> chuck
>

> On Sun, 4 Mar 2001, Janina Sajka wrote:
>
> > Hi, Chuck:
> >
> > Wonder if your problem is related to mine? In any case here's a stab at
> > a possibility--not necessarily a right answer.
> >
> > I noticed, while working on my sendmail problem, that there is a field in
> > the sendmail configuration file (/etc/sendmail.cf on my system) to specify
> > which addressees should be handled locally. I didn't read the docs on
> > this but understand it to mean that you could specify usernames and
> > perhaps a unique local domain e.g. x.y.z.com which would have to be set
> > up, of course.
> >
> > PS: Just changing the field doesn't change the setting. You need to
> > recompile the configuration with m4 and restart sendmail for it to take
> > effect.
> >

> > On Sun, 4 Mar 2001, Charles Hallenbeck wrote:
> >
> > > Hi...
> > >
> > > I hope someone can help me set something up that ought to be really
> > > simple. I want to be able to send email from one user account to another
> > > on my system without going through my ISP. When I use an address such as
> > > "chuckh at localhost" which I thought ought to work, it still sends the mail
> > > to my ISP, from where I must fetch it with fetchmail. I do not seem to be
> > > reading the right howtos or man pages to get a clue on what must be done
> > > here.
> > >
> > > Thanks for any help.
> > >
> > > Chuck
> > >

> > > My web site is http://www.mhonline.net/~chuckh
> > > The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (66% of Full)

> My web site is http://www.mhonline.net/~chuckh
> The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (68% of Full)

				Janina Sajka, Director
				Technology Research and Development
				Governmental Relations Group
				American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)

janina at afb.net
(202) 408-8175
http://www.afb.org/gov.html

The invention of the printing press has been named the crowning achievment
of the past millenium. Yet, electronic publishing will soon eclipse it.
Read our White Paper: "Surpassing Gutenberg" available at:

	http://www.afb.org/ebook.html

Are you developing software? Make it accessible to blind computer users.
Read http://www.afb.org/technology/accessapp.html to learn how.