unexpected trplayer behavior

Geoff Shang gshang at uq.net.au
Thu Mar 1 02:07:58 EST 2001

Hi:

Your problem is definitely something for Matt Campbell to comment on.  As
to bit rate, this *should* always be bandwidth/data rate.  In theory at
least, the figure reported by the B command should always be the same for
locally stored readmedia files and non-VBR MP3 files.  I've not tried VBR
MP3 files so I'd be interested to know what people find happens with them.
I do know that trplayer reports 24.0kbps for 20kbps MP3 files, both
streaming and not.  Anyway, the B command should also return the same
measurement when listening to an MP3 stream.  If you're listening to a
realmedia stream via a realserver, the number may well change (along with
the quality) as the server will try to compensate for fluctuations in
bandwidth, etc.  Note here that the stream you actually receive is in fact
changing, which is why the measurement changes.

Geoff.