Can SPEAKUP run on an IIPAQ?

Kirk Wood cpt.kirk at 1tree.net
Wed Jun 20 15:10:11 EDT 2001

On Wed, 20 Jun 2001, Janina Sajka wrote:
> I believe Raman is playing with emacspeak on an Ipaq with ViaVoice. Yes,
> compaq does seem to have Ipaq's with linux, and yes, you can connect a
> cable. Don't know about connecting a synth, though, and therein lies the
> problem. It adds up to too many umbilicals--one for the keyboard and one
> for the synth? No thanks--at that rate, I'll just take a computer.

Now here is the diliemma when talking about an IPAQ. There are two
distinct platforms. One of these is the handheld. The other is a mini
tower. The mini tower is a somewhat normal computer in a cute case with no
floppy or CD by default. It has support for floppy and CD in a hot swap
bay very much like a laptop. It is available either "legacy free" with no
serial or parallel ports or in a "legacy" version which has 2 serial and a
parallel. The handheld has a USB connector. They have a sleeve that is
available that allows you to use a Type 1 pcmcia card.

Now if this sounds confusing, I will assure you it is. My company recently
deployed close to 30 of the desktop units and 7 handhelds in a medical
clinic. We have been deploying the desktop units for some time and now we
have some good confusion because both are IPAQs. What really makes it fun
is that a good number of people don't realize that both have the same
name. I am sure the same people came up with this scheme that decided that
the ballpark the Texas Rangers play in should be named:
The Ballpark (in Arlington).

=======
Kirk Wood
Cpt.Kirk at 1tree.net

Nothing is hard if you know the answer or are used to doing it.