a few questions

Raul A. Gallegos raul at asmodean.net
Wed Jun 20 01:47:18 EDT 2001

Hi, answers are below.

>1.  I know how to check the date and time, but how do I change them in Linux?

As root the format is: # date mmddhhMM
As a basic starter.  Basically it's date followed by 2 digit month, 2 digit date, 2 digit hour (24) format, 2 digit minute.  You can add more to include the seconds
and year if you want but I doubt you need that.  If you type # date --help |more  You will get an explanation of the format.  Date is really a neat command.

>2.  If Linux is the only OS on a box, and the hardware clock is set to local time, will Linux automatically adjust it twice a year when appropriate? Will this be
done by default, or do I need to change something in order to make it happen?

It will be done by deafault.  I use a program called timeconfig to set the local time zone.

>3.  I will be installing Linux on a sighted friend's PC.  He has a 25 Gb hard disk entirely filled by a FAT 32 partition.  What utility can I use to split this partition
to make room for Linux, and where can I get it from?

First off back up any data on the hard drive if you don't want to risk losing it.  the one I recommend is partition magic but I don't have current info on where
to get it. Sorry.

>Thanks of course in advance for any help.

Your welcome.

>Greg

Raul

Raul A. Gallegos -- raul at asmodean.net