FAQ gally2

Geoff Shang gshang at uq.net.au
Sun Jun 17 11:19:04 EDT 2001

On Sun, 17 Jun 2001, Ann Parsons wrote:

> q. What versions of speakup work with what kernels?
>
> A.  The latest version of Speakup, 0.10A will work with kernels 2.2.18
> and above.  For further information, ask on the speakup list.

I think we could insert a sentence saying that speakup 0.09 works with most
other versions of kernel 2.2.  Also, the supported kernels are listed in
the README or announcement for that version.

> q.  How do I install Speakup?
>
> A.  The easiest way is to download the appropriate precompiled kernel for your

I think we need to insert a bit before this answer.  Something like:

If you already run linux, you will probably want to recompile your kernel
with speakup included.  To do this, download the speakup source code from
the speakup site and follow the instructions in the README file on how to
patch speakup into your kernel.

If you wish to install linux using speakup, the easiest way is to download
(etc, etc, etc).

> speakup_synthesizer=dectlk speakup_serial=0

hmmm...I've never seen these written longhand before.  Does this actually
work Kirk?  AFAIK, the sommands are speakup_synth and speakup_ser.

> The above string is for the Dectalk Express on Com 1 under DOS or tty0 under
> Linux.

You might want to add a sentence here saying "Refer to the list of
supported synthesisers above for the correct string to use here." or
something similar.

> dd . . . .(Sorry don't know the string)

dd if=bare.i of=/dev/fd0

> http://www.formilab.ch/speakfree/unix

This is the unix version.  The windows one can be gotten from
www.speakfreely.org

> When you have installed the program, access the reflector by entering
> :
>
> lwl..braille.uwo.ca port 4074

You need to enter the following:

sfspeaker -j &
sfspeaker -p4074 -j &
sfmike lwl.braille.uwo.ca:4074

Note that your quote above has a double dot in it.

Nice job, Ann.

Geoff.