speakup.i parameters

Matthew Janusauskas matthewj at core.com
Wed Jun 13 17:46:46 EDT 2001

Hi Scott,

I followed your instructions using option 4 of my startup disk, then with no
sppeech feedback, I changed to the directory on my hard drive containing the
rawrite application as well as the bootdisk image.  I then gave the
rawrite.exe dectlk.img a: command.  The a drive began working and was done
in a few minutes.  I then left the disk in the drive and rebooted.  First I
got the normal bios beep, and then the floppy drive ran and I got a new
second beep which I'm assuming is the boot prompt.  At that point I typed:
mount root=/dev/hda1 speakup_ser=0 rw

Then the a drive began working again for several mintes, and when it stopped
there was no speech, and control alt delete wouldn't even reboot the system
I had to manually power it down and restart.

I don't know what else to try at this point.  Fro my memory of trying this
about a year and a half ago on the old laptop I had this was all I did and
the system booted easily with speech even if I got the partition statement
wrong.

What else can I try?

-Matthew