A more complete log about my disk access errors

Kerry Hoath kerry at gotss.eu.org
Sun Jun 3 02:18:58 EDT 2001

You may also find that certain drives want to go into udma66
which makes sense since that is their fastest powerup dma mode. Now if you don't happen
to have a UDMA66 cable, then you can experience dma timeouts or crc errors,
because Linux thinks the drive is in superfast mode, the drive does too but the signals on the cable
are getting corrupted due to the lack of conductors in the cable.
UDMA 66 has 80 conducters and normal ide has 40, although both only have 40 pins.

I found that with my Quantum 30gig drive, I couldn't enable dma reliably
unless I had an UDMA66 cable on the Via 82c586 controller. Some new
drives suck in pio mode providing a lack lustre 5 megabytes per second
but run at 15 megabytes when udma is enabled.
If anyone wants any more information on Linux and DMA/UDMA let me know under Linux,
sadly under Windows you'll have to ask Kirk Wood about the dark side :-)

Regards, Kerry.