Samba Help - I'm a Samba Newbie

rjc rjc at MIT.EDU
Thu Jul 26 08:39:40 EDT 2001

Not really sure what questions to ask here. I've tried to configure Samba on
my linux server. I want to just make a share on the server browsable via
windows explorer which allows me to access my apache config files from
windows. I'm the only one using the server, so don't have to worry about
configuring home directories and multiple users on the same share or any of
that stuff. I just want a simple share, writable by only me, browsable from
windows. One question before I give any details however, is this gunna
really work for me -- if I'm editing apache config files from, say, notepad,
what will happen with respect to line termination. linux/unix uses carriage
return, windows uses crlf. Does samba perform translation on the fly? Will
this totally break the files?

General Configuration Notes
1). Logged in as root, I started both smbd and nmbd from the command line,
2). I used the default configuration file, changing the domain to reflect
our local NT domain.
3). I added something like the following:
[apacheman]
valid users root rjc
browseable = yes
writable = yes

When I tried it with smbclient, and give it the password, it tells me
something about "tree connect: server error, unable to connect", or some
such. Windows sees the host (shows up in network neighborhood) but gives a
"share not found" error when I open it. When I try and mounse it with
something like:
windows> net use \\barajas\apacheman
I get a share not found error.

Am I doing mostly the correct thing here? Have I missed anything obvious?

Thanx in advance!

                    Rich