virtual consoles

Frank Carmickle frankiec at braille.uwo.ca
Mon Jul 23 19:11:05 EDT 2001

Hi all

I don't believe that there is a compile time option for number of virtual
terminals.  I think your getting confused with the number of ttys in the
pts file system.  Yes you will need to mknod new ttys in /dev if
your distro didn't make as many as you desire.

Also to clear up some things about the x sessions.  They do not run gettys
or act like ttys.  And they do not need to be using a frame buffer.  As
long as you've have an x-server running for your video card then you
should be able to switch to the virtual terminal running a graphical log
in manager like xdm or gdm.

--
     Frank Carmickle
phone:     412 761-9568