virtual consoles

Raul A. Gallegos raul at asmodean.net
Sun Jul 22 04:01:00 EDT 2001

I've always used slackware linux and only have access to 6 consoles.  I can move across them with alt-left-arrow or alt-right-arrow in addition to the alt-f1
through alt-f6 but I can never get to 7 through 12, this would be nice to do if I can figure it out.

On Sun, 22 Jul 2001 00:11:51 -0400 (EDT), Frank Carmickle wrote:

>Hi Greg
>
>I don't actually think there is a limit on the number of consoles one
>can use.  If you want to get more then 12 you have to setup your keymap
>and inittab.  There is one more step involved but it escapes me right
>now.  The issue is that each of the gettys takes up a bit of memory.  Your
>probably better off running screen once you get above 12 anyway.

--- Raul A. Gallegos http://www.asmodean.net
For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals...
Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination...
We learned to talk...