cable/dsl under linux

Ann Parsons akp at eznet.net
Sun Jul 15 07:47:35 EDT 2001

Hi all,

<smile>  That's huccum I'm having my local guru put a NIC card in
*before* the people come on Wednesday to put the DSL in.  We want a
NIC card that is not P&P, or at least can be turned off.  Once the
card is turned off, the IRQ and addy is stable, and you can tell Linux
where it is.    I've learned through experience that P&P devices do
not work well in Linux.  They *can* work, but it takes the devil's own
time to make them work!  This is especially true if you're running a
dual booting machine like I am.  First you have to go into Windows and
find out what the addies and IRQ's are.  Then you have to go back into
Linux and tell Linux where Windows has placed the stuff.  It's a royal
pain in the anatomy!

Ann P.

--
			Ann K. Parsons