from uk.map to system.map

Cheryl Homiak chomiak at worldfront.com
Sat Jul 7 14:06:39 EDT 2001

As has been pointed out, your system.map and your keymap are two different
things, so don't go replacing your system.map with your keymap!!!  Other
than recompiling, I am sure there is a way for you to substitute your uk
keymap if there is a particular file from which the keymap is being
loaded.  If you find this file you could simply replace it with your uk
keymap but be sure to save the original file in case you need it again.
This would work if there is an actual file for your keymap and it isn't
somehow just built into the kernel without a file; I'm afraid I don't know
about this.  Also, be sure your console-common and console-tools are
configured to use the kernel keymap and not configured to boot a
particular keymap at every boot.  Again, when experimenting with this, be
sure to save any keymaps that might get wiped out so you don't end up
unable to replace your original keymaps if something goes awry.  This may
be something we in debian have to watch whenever console-common and
console-tools are upgraded, because these packages want to install a
keymap to be loaded very early in every boot, and we don't want this if we
are going back and forth between two keymaps.  There are, however, three
different options in the configure of console-common and dpkg-reconfigure
can be used if necessary.Just make sure you know where the relevant
keymaps are at all times and make sure you've read the man pages for
loadkeys nd install-keymap and any other relevant topics before
experimenting.

                              Cheryl