Multi-tasking

Kirk Wood cpt.kirk at 1tree.net
Mon Jul 2 16:21:28 EDT 2001

I find it rather amusing when people talk about windows as if it
represents a singular system. Especially in terms of memory management and
multi-tasking. I have studied the architecture, and can assure you that
this is the main area you will find differences between versions. You will
find major changes between Win3.x, Win9.x, NT3.5 and NT4. Thus when
speaking about how such things, you must qualify them with which versions
you are speaking about. Also, within the same version there can be several
modes going on.

For instance in NT4 and later, legacy 16 bits apps share a common memory
space and task switch among themselves. But the virtual machine they
reside in is using mapped memory and is in a pre-emptive environment.

=======
Kirk Wood
Cpt.Kirk at 1tree.net

The mind is like a parachute; it works much better when open.
If your too open minded, your brains will fall out.