E-mail - clients & transporters

Geoff Shang gshang at uq.net.au
Sat Jan 27 08:33:36 EST 2001

Hi Gena:

OK, I'm on my way to bed but I'll quickly address some of your questions.

Firstly to pine.  Your main hassle is that it's not showing the
cursor.  This is a right pain, but it's fixable.  You need to go to the
main menu, go into settings, then config.  If you've never been in here,
then I'd suggest taking a half-hour or so to go through it entirely, as
there are lots and lots of options in here that you'll want to look at and
consider using.  Anyway, hit W to search and search for cursor.  You'll
have to hit W again and then hit enter so that it searches for cursor again
a couple of times before you get to the show cursor option.  Hit X to check
this option and pine will immediately become much more usable.

As I say, I recommend going through all the pine config stuff at least
once, as it's a real eye opener, so to speak.  The folder list thing is in
there too, I have mine listed in a single vertical collumn which makes
life infinitely easier.

I'll leave fetchmail till tomorrow, but be assured that I will post back on
the subject.  I did write up a quick tutorial message on this before, so I
might dig it out, or you could search the archives if you're game (not sure
if it's on this list or blinux-newbie, but it was on one of them).

Finally, if you still want assistance before you can get speak freely
working, you might consider battling with speak freely for windows in the
interim.  A number of people have done this and while it's not as good as
the linux version, it might get you through.

Geoff.