Lilo to Talk?

Terry D. Cudney terry at wasagacottage.com
Tue Jan 23 09:28:42 EST 2001

Hi Steve,

	It sounds like you have things et up right... "Active" is the same as "bootable". You toggle it on or off in both cfdisk and fdisk.

	There is one thing though that I've seen and can't see why it's allowed (haven't tried it to see)... You can have more than one partition tagged as "active" or "bootable". Why would you want that? or what would happen if you marked two ro more partitions "active"? I'd guess that the first one marked "active" wuld be the one to boot?

HTH (and if anyone knows the academic answer to my question? (grin))

	--terry

You wrote:

-=> How can you tell if it is "active" or not? I've been both cfdisk and fdisk
-=> and they mention primary and extended.  I have two partitions: hda1 for 8
-=> cyls which is my swap (82 linux swap) and hda2 for the remainder of the
-=> drive which is (83 linux native).  Fdisk shows a star on hda2 (I think
-=> because I have it marked as bootable.  Neither of these utilities mention
-=> anything about activating a partition.  Someone else mentioned activation to
-=> me but not really sure where to go with that one.
-=>