speakup on red hat 6.2

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Fri Jan 19 10:34:29 EST 2001

David:

You don't say what system you're trying to work with or how the DEC Talk
is connected, so it can be a bit difficult to give you specific advice.
Let me make two suggestions:

1.)	You might want to consider Redhat 7.0 though this won't likely fix
your immediate problem;

2.)	You might try passing the following type of argument at the
non-speaking "Boot>" prompt that pops up early during the floppy boot
process:

	speakup_ser=1

If the kernel assigns ttyS0 to some port other than the one you've
connected DEC Talk to, even though you may think it should be ttyS0, it
won't work because you're not actually connecting. So, try pushing up the
serial port designation as above.
 On Fri, 19 Jan 2001, David Poehlman
wrote:

> We're attempting to get this up and running with a dec express.
> we've a boot disk that was created but we aren't getting it to
> talk.  Please help if possible?
> Thanks!
>
> Hands-On Technolog(eye)s
> mailto:poehlman1 at home.com
> url: http://members.home.com/poehlman1/
> i c q: 6958436
> voice 301-949-7599
> end sig.

				Janina Sajka, Director
				Technology Research and Development
				Governmental Relations Group
				American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)

janina at afb.net
(202) 408-8175
http://www.afb.org/gov.html

The invention of the printing press has been named the crowning
achievement of the past millennium. Yet, electronic publishing will soon
eclipse it. Read our White Paper: "Surpassing Gutenberg" available at:

	http://www.afb.org/ebook.html

Are you developing software? Make it accessible to blind computer users.
Read http://www.afb.org/technology/accessapp.html to learn how.