Micro-Solutions Backpack

Matthew Campbell mattcampbell at pobox.com
Sat Jan 13 11:55:17 EST 2001

I got one of these last Sunday, so I know the whole routine.  You'll
need to get the Linux driver for the Micro-Solutions Web site at:

http://www.micro-solutions.com/software_library/linux/

Get the driver for the closest kernel version to what you actually
have.  Unpack it and move the module to the right place.  For example,
if you're running kernel 2.2.16, put the module in
/lib/modules/2.2.16/misc/backpack.o

Now to load all the modules you type (as root):

modprobe paride
insmod -f backpack
modprobe pcd
modprobe pg

The pcd module lets you use the drive as a CD-ROM drive, and the pg
module lets you use it as a CD writer.  There are a couple of device
files you need to create by typing:

mknod /dev/pcd0 b 46 0
mknod /dev/pg0 b 97 0

/dev/pcd0 is what you use if you want to use the drive as a CD-ROM
drive, and /dev/pg0 is what cdrecord uses to access the CD writer.

You'll need either cdrecord or cdrdao in order to use the CD Writer.
So far I have only used cdrecord, and I don't even know if cdrdao
works with a Backpack.  Once you've got cdrecord, type:

cdrecord -scanbus

And that will tell you what you need to use as the dev argument for
your CD writer.

I hope that helps.  And if anyone has gotten the open-source bpck
driver to work, please let us know.

--
Matt Campbell <http://www.pobox.com/~mattcampbell/>  ICQ #:  33005941