USB scanners and linux

Geoff Shang gshang10 at scu.edu.au
Sat Jan 13 19:59:45 EST 2001

Hi all:

Thanks to those who wrote back about USB scanners and linux.  We ended up
getting the HP scanjet 5200C.  We could have gotten the epson perfection
610 but we weren't sure about the accessability of the windows software.
The HP stuff is apparently quite speech friendly, though apparently not
brilliant at OCR.

As for the USB PCI card, my conclusion is that it should work, as on-board
USB seems to do stuff via the PCI buss anyway.  You need to use lspci to
determine your USB interface type, and windows lists it as being PCI
universal serial buss, so I'm pretty confident this should work.

Now looking forward ~to road-testing sOCRates.

Geoff.