USB scanners and linux

Kirk Wood cpt.kirk at 1tree.net
Thu Jan 11 15:58:56 EST 2001

> Does this mean you have to run X in order to use it?  If it is just
> libraries, how does one run the application?  Does the scanner somehow
> invoke these library functions?  It just doesn't quite add up to me <dumb>:)

Being a set of lbraries means that the program was written to sperate the
front-end (the part you see and work with) from the part of the program
that actually does the work. Meaning that another programer can relatively
easily write his/her own OCR software that uses the work of the developers
of this package.

If the only front-end they have written is in X you will have to use X or
write a new front end. Thescanner won't actually access a thing. A program
will access the scanner though.

=======
Kirk Wood
Cpt.Kirk at 1tree.net

Cluelessness
	There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of
	inquisitive idiots