Lilo geo_comp_addr Error with 2.4.0

Kerry Hoath kerry at gotss.eu.org
Thu Jan 11 12:51:18 EST 2001

There is a reason for the simlink aproach.
make zlilo or make bzlilo will copy a kernel to /vmlinuz
and automatically run lilo. This means if the default kernel is
vmlinuz in the root, thinks will just go.
Many people however only create a 10-20 megabyte partition for /boot
keeping the intire contents below cylinder 1024. The simlink keeps /vmlinuz
below this magic cylinder. Now that most bioses and
lilo support lba32 adressing, this problem should go away
in the long term.

The simlink aproach also means you have 1 simlink cluttering up the root
directory and can put the rest of the kernels in /boot/* and
referr to them as /boot/blah
Most comercial unixes stored the kernel image (not images) in the root
of the tree hence the historic convention.

REgards, Kerry