Stragne Alsa Behavior

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Wed Jan 10 21:36:52 EST 2001

Hi, Listers:

Here's a puzzler I'd like to solve that's kind of off beat.

OK. That's a bad joke, here's why.

I have an IBM Thinkpad portable running linux. It's actually IBM's first
Thinkpad with Linux pre-installed. On this machine I have Alsa -- the very
latest. Here's the puzzler:

1.)	When the machine is docked, Alsa works fine;
2.)	When I undock the machine, Alsa sounds like it's half speed;
3.)	When I dock the machine again, Alsa is fine;
4.)	When I undock the machine ...

Well you get the idea. But, what's this about? And, more importantly how
the blazes to fix it? Might it have swomething to do with Copperman Intel
P3 Stepping technology thingie whereby maybe the cpu runs at a different
speed under different power circumstances? Well, why then does the
undocked behaviro still misbehave when I've got it plugged into the wall.

Very strange. Very strange indeed.

Come to think of it, I upgraded my Aklsa while I was in a hotel room about
a month ago. I didn't have my dock--that stays home. So, this has started
happening since then. But it was also happening before the upgrade--I just
hadn't figured out that it had something to do with things that change
when I dock and undock.

				Janina Sajka, Director
				Technology Research & Development
				Governmental Relations Group