USB scanners and linux

Geoff Shang gshang10 at scu.edu.au
Wed Jan 10 20:53:21 EST 2001

Hi all:

For complex financial reasons, we need to buy something now and we
thought it should be a scanner.  We would like to go USB since SCSI is
expensive and parallel is sooo slow.  Anyway, I need to know if there are
any issues with using USB scanners under 2.2.18.  Are there drivers for
each scanner or is there like some kind of standard interface?  Also, I
have a PC without onboard USB support.  I believe that I can get a card
for USB without too much expense to the management. But does this create
problems for the USB support under linux?

Any comments would be helpful. This is a matter of some urgency.

Geoff.