Alsa 0.5.10 w/ Debian - was: Re: not working yet

Terry D. Cudney terry at wasagacottage.com
Tue Jan 2 15:11:50 EST 2001

Hi  all you Alsa gurus!

	Yippee!!!! I finally got Alsa-0.5.10 working!!!!

Thanks very very much to all the help you guys gave me while I was figuring this one out.

	It appears (as Geoff says below) that it doesn't matter if the sound support is compiled into the kernel, or as a module. Just don't compile anything else into the kernel.

	In my case, the key turned out to be the fact that the devices in /dev were owned by root and in the audio group. No normal user could use them. By adding myself to the audio group, it all works!

	Thanks again guys!

Geoff Shang wrote:

-=> Hi:
-=>
-=> I have sound support built in to the kernel, so this seems not to
-=> matter.  I would guess that if your kernel is compiling properly then the
-=> includes must be OK.
-=>
-=> As far as your user vs. root problem goes, remember the sound devices were
-=> recreated with sndevices, so it's quite possible that user and group
-=> details or permissions may have changed.  Make sure that your user account
-=> has access to the devices.  I'd suggest making them group read/writeable
-=> and put yourself in that group.
-=>
-=> As for unmuting, remember you need to both unmute and set volumes for both
-=> the master volume and one other source (e.g. pcm).  The need for this
-=> should be pretty obvious.
-=>
-=> Geoff.
-=>
-=>
-=> --
-=> Geoff Shang <gshang10 at scu.edu.au>
-=> ICQ number 43634701
-=>
-=>
-=> _______________________________________________
-=> Speakup mailing list
-=> Speakup at braille.uwo.ca
-=>

		--terry

Name:	Terry D. Cudney
Phone:	(905)735-6127
E-mail:	terry at wasagacottage.com
WWW:	www.wasagacottage.com

Q:	How many members of the U.S.S. Enterprise does it take to change a
	light bulb?
A:	Seven.  Scotty has to report to Captain Kirk that the light bulb in
	the Engineering Section is getting dim, at which point Kirk will send
	Bones to pronounce the bulb dead (although he'll immediately claim
	that he's a doctor, not an electrician).  Scotty, after checking
	around, realizes that they have no more new light bulbs, and complains
	that he "canna" see in the dark.  Kirk will make an emergency stop at
	the next uncharted planet, Alpha Regula IV, to procure a light bulb
	from the natives, who, are friendly, but seem to be hiding something.
	Kirk, Spock, Bones, Yeoman Rand and two red shirt security officers
	beam down to the planet, where the two security officers are promply
	killed by the natives, and the rest of the landing party is captured.
	As something begins to develop between the Captain and Yeoman Rand,
	Scotty, back in orbit, is attacked by a Klingon destroyer and must
	warp out of orbit.  Although badly outgunned, he cripples the Klingon
	and races back to the planet in order to rescue Kirk et. al. who have
	just saved the natives' from an awful fate and, as a reward, been
	given all lightbulbs they can carry.  The new bulb is then inserted
	and the Enterprise continues on its five year mission.