using lynx.

Charles Hallenbeck chuckh at mhonline.net
Wed Feb 28 06:59:37 EST 2001

Hi Shawn -
Yes, pretty much like that. You tab or use 'down arrow' to go to the next
link, 'up arrow' to go back, enter or 'right arrow' to activate the link,
'left arrow' to return to your previously displayed page from a history
list, and various single letter commands to do things like deal with a
bookmark file, change c configuration, download instead of display a link,
etcetera etcetera. It does not download graphics but shows you where they
would appear, and lets you download them if you want to. For that reason
it is lightning fast and many sighted researchers and techies  use it for
that reason alone. It has two drawbacks for a blind user - it does not
support java, and it does not deal well with embedded audio 'background'
or 'autostart' messages.

Try it - you will love it.

Out of the box it is a little challenging to use, but with a couple of
swift changes to the configuration you can make the cursor follow the
highlights, and cause clickable links to be identified with bracketed
numbers ([1], [2], [3], etcetera) so instead of cursoring to the one you
want and pressing enter, you can just enter the number and activate the
link that way. It has a 'search' feature that lets you hunt for a word or
phrase (case insenstive) on the current page.

It can also be modified to support secure connections.

I am sure I have forgotten a few things, but you get the picture. It is a
serious browser.

HTH - Chuck

My web site is http://www.mhonline.net/~chuckh