Speakup and Emacspeak

Geoff Shang gshang at uq.net.au
Wed Feb 21 02:08:59 EST 2001

Hi:

You will need to run a kernel without speakup, or a kernel with the current
CVS version of speakup and no synth selected.  I don't quite know what
killing speakup does and does not do, but it's obviously not releasing the
serial port that your speech synth is on.  The reason why speakup hogs the
serial port at all is mainly because it's apparently linux kernel policy
that it be done this way.  I'm sure we'd all like to see speakup eventually
become part of the standard linux kernel and if this is to happen, the port
must be handled this way to comply with linux standards.

Note that I'm assuming you're trying to use emacspeak with the same synth
that you're using speakup with.  If this is not the case then completely
disregard this message.  I've not used emacspeak so can't advise on its
use.

Geoff.