Speakup and Emacspeak

Debian UserBen van Poppel benny at netspace.net.au
Wed Feb 21 15:02:54 EST 2001

Hi all,

Well, I've got Debian running on my desktop (laptop coming tomorrow
<yay>). I have a problem though when I want to use the serial port for
something else, namely when I want to use Emacs with Emacspeak
running. I've run the Doubletalk speech-server on its own and the
error I get is as follows:
Error: stty: standard input: Input/output error
    while executing
"exec stty sane 9600 raw  -echo crtscts <  $port "
    ("Linux" arm line 3)
    invoked from within
"switch -exact  -- $machine {
    DEC { #osf and ultrix
        exec stty sane 9600 raw  -echo < $port
        exec stty ixon ixoff  <  $port
    }
 ..."
    (file "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacspeak/servers/doubletalk" line 939)

Naturally I tried this after both silencing Speakup with
insert+keypad-enter and killing it altogether with ins+pause. I can do
a stty on my other serial port (/dev/ttyS1) but can fire up
Emacspeak without hastle, but doing a stty </dev/ttyS0 or anything
like that yields the same breed of input/output error.

Does someone know what's going on? Have I missed something crucial?
Thankyou for your patience.

Regards,
Ben