laptops

Jacob Schmude
Mon Feb 19 16:28:38 EST 2001

Hi
     Well I'll try to give as much info as I can. I've got a toshiba satellite pro 4340 laptop computer. It's a good system as far as hardware and performance goes. Intel pentium III 650MHz processor with 64mb ram. It has a 12GB hard disk. All hardware, even the winmodem, is linux compatible. It has a built-in floppy and DVD-rom disk. The sound system works fine with the ALSA drivers, it's a yamaha YMF744 chip. It's multi-channel, too. There are two type II pcmcia card slots. It has a serial port, a parellel port, an IRDA port, and a USB port. I've got slackware linux running on it right now. The modem, a lucent LT winmodem, works well with kernels 2.2 and 2.4 with the lucent driver. In full power mode it gives about 3 hours continuous battery life. However, there's no reason to unload their windows that comes with this machine. It's win 98SE and all the drivers are prop[erly set up for you. You just need to get rid of the desktop wallpaper and theme and any windows screen reading program will work fine. I just used fips to split the windows partition and installed linux on the rest of the drive. Speakup on this system works well! The num-pad, as in most laptops, is used by depressing the FN key and then the keys on the right side of the keyboard. Even the insert-key combinations are no problem really, but you need to be a bit dextrous to handle some of them. The only complaint I have about this laptop is that there's only one control key on the left side of the keyboard. It would have been nice to have another control key on the right side, but oh well.