laptops

Brian Moore admin at bmoore.yi.org
Mon Feb 19 16:21:57 EST 2001

Greetings all.  Okay, finally am breaking down and hunting for a laptop
computer .  I want to use this machine to boot both linux and windows.  I
suspect windows will have no real problems since I will probably get a
machine with it loaded whether or not I want their windows.  However, I have
had bad experiences with other machines in the past which required lots of
drivers and would only work with the OF.a.m version of windows from that
particular laptop company.  would like to avoid this if at all possible
since I will probably nuke the disk as the first thing and put a standard
version of win98 se and create a Linux partition running slackware or redhat
or something like that.  would like as little strange hardware as possible.
I really like like the keyboards on the thinkpad computers but they are
pretty costly and i.b.m sometimes has strange hardware configurations at
least on the desktop machines I have worked with.  Would be most interested
in people's experience with notebook computers.  I don't mind spending a
little more money for a good machine but really want to avoid proprietary
software and sound video chips etc.  any thoughts viaprivate mail would be
much appreciated.

thanks.  Brian.

home e-mail: admin at bmoore.yi.org
work e-mail: bmoore at frontiercomputing.on.ca