/proc/speakup

Gene Collins collins at gene3.ait.iastate.edu
Thu Feb 15 09:34:02 EST 2001

Hi all.  The proc/speakup system was designed to allow users to more
easily control various speakup/synthesizer configuration parameters.
The idea that you can't stop a hacker from doing something just because
you don't have speech is ludicrous.  Hasn't anyone ever heard of just
pulling the cable, or hitting control alt-del to reboot the machine?  If
you have a hacker on your system, you'll probably want to reboot into
single user mode anyway, in order to clean up what he/she has been
doing.  The other advantage to the proc/speakup system is that it allows
folks to set speech parameters during the installation process of Linux
in order to make speech more understandable.  It also means you don't
have to get some other program to configure your speech, the
configuration capability is already built into speakup itself.  As for
keyboard configuration, rtfm about keymaps and load and dump keys, and
you can configure your keyboard just about anyway you like.  The moral
of the storry, don't look a gift horse in the mouth!

Gene Collins

>/proc/speakup was a bad idea. because:
>1. if a hacker gained root, you couldn't turn off the net or something without
 speech. (if
>someone shut it off)
>i think a keypad configuration system would be in order. use one of the unused
 keys, or see if numlock is on/off, and if its one way, use rate pitch and volu
me on the keypad.