comport problem

Terry D. Cudney terry at wasagacottage.com
Sun Feb 11 22:52:26 EST 2001

Hi,

	Kirk and Jiim have been wrangling withthis kind of behaviour for some time. Apparently some serial ports are not initialiized at boot up, but you can have LILO initialize them if you put this line in /etc/lilo.conf:

	serial=x,9600N8

	where x is 0 or 1 depending on which com port your serial synth is attached.

HTH,
	--terry

You wrote:

-=> hi,
-=> i have installed linux (slackware/redhat6/redhat7/debian) using speakup for
-=> a while now, using both my apollo2 and dectalk express. however, on my new
-=> computer i couldn't get speakup talking. so, what i did was boot using a
-=> windows millennium boot floppy and load my dos screen reader, then i unload
-=> my screen reader again. now, using loadlin i start the debian setup and i
-=> get speech again! when it has installed the base it reboots, but no speech
-=> this time. obviously it is something to do with the synth/comport being
-=> initialised before speakup gets there. the disks i use are 0.09/0.10 disks
-=> if this matters.
-=> any help appreciated
-=> saqib
-=> Please visit my home page at: