More on mail

Geoff Shang gshang at uq.net.au
Sun Feb 4 22:39:34 EST 2001

Hi Gena:

The unix and linux convention is that mail goes in
/var/spool/mail/<username> (e.g. /var/spool/mail/gena).  It would probably
be possible to change this, but I'm sure you'd have to change several
program configs to do this and, unless you really want your inbox in
/home/gena and are prepared to track it all down, I'd just leave it as it
is.  Mail programs should be configured by default to look in that
location.  If they're not finding your mail however, then it is either not
arriving there or they're looking in the wrong place.

As for pine spell checking, it doesn't work initially because pine is
looking for /usr/bin/spell which is a standard unix program but is not
installed by default (on debian anyway).  If you're running debian, which I
think you are, you need to install the ispell package (which actually does
the spell checking, and then the spell package provides an interface that
looks like unix spell so that pine can actually use it.  So just install
ispell and spell and that should do the job nicely.

Geoff.