Installing Debian

Georgina Joyce gena at visson.freeserve.co.uk
Thu Feb 1 11:53:00 EST 2001

Hi

I wondered if anyone could help.  I've attempted to install the Debian
distro being careful that I get the right files from the speakup site.
These are the udma66 disks for the dectlk.

However, I've downloaded the files 3 times thinking that my problem was
because IE wasn't downloading the files correctly.  For my last attempt I
used FTP Explorer, which usually is okay.

However, I can get through the installing process, from a MS DOS partition
without any problem, although during the boot up process, it complains that
modprobe can't find some modules.  After installing lilo and creating a boot
up disk, I reboot, as requested.  But I can't get any speech.  I cannot
remember the command to tell the kernel that speakup is to use com1 or
ttyS0, if that is what I require.

Therefore, could someone tell me of the syntax of the command I need to pass
to the kernel, if that is what I need?  If not, could someone tell me what I
need to do?

Obviously I've had to remove the mbr but I think that the boot up disk will
work but if not, I'll have to start from the beginning again.

Gena

gena at visson.freeserve.co.uk g.joyce at uclan.ac.uk

http://www.visson.freeserve.co.uk

Mobile Telephone Number 07951 196268