speakup 1.0 and slackware 8.0

Thomas Ward tward at bright.net
Sun Dec 30 15:59:33 EST 2001

hey, he wanted to know Speakups limatations and I told him. Weather anyone
wants to believe it or not x-windows is a big part of the sited world.
Users that come from MS Windows often ask me if Linux has a gui just like
Windows, and they want that ease of use. Many blind users won't use Linux
just because they can't use x.

I still use Windows and Linux, because I don't have the option of the rich
apps for x. I'd like to be able to use Gnofin, Star Office, and plenty of
other apps that should be accessible once Gnopernicus comes out.

I have a vary fast 1.2 GHZ ddesktop computer with lots of ram, and x moves
like a demon on my computer. I haven't noticed any memory or speed loss
using x. X even runs pretty decently on my laptop which is only a p166 with
80 MB of ram. X operates better than MS Windows as far as speed, and I'm not
sure what you are getting at as a memory hog.

The point here is that the sighted world does use X for almost everything,
and we should have access to that interface as well. I'll use any interface
that gets me where I want to go, and any apps I chose to. Frankly, i am not
sure why people complain about anyone who shows an interest in a graphical
interface. The shell interface is not for everyone. I frankly can't remember
every single command for Linux, and know it would be easier just to click a
button or menu item to do that command.