ponders

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Wed Dec 26 15:23:55 EST 2001

I still get those whenever I log on to the shell or upon exiting of a long
running program during which new mail has come in.  The default for my
"unfiltered inbox mail" is to go right back into /var/spool/mail/steve (in
my case) so the shell detects its presence.  I do remember from past
filtering experiences if I have all mail filtered into other local mail
folders, the shell will know nothing about it thus no new mail
notification.  I do recall an option that can be used to tell the shell
where to look for new mail; I think it is an environment variable.

On the other side, my shell tells me I have mail (not new mail) whenever
there is any old mail in my inbox.  Unfortunately, Pine likes to keep a
"dummy" message in there so the shell will tell me that I still have mail
even though a normal pine user will see that there is no mail (empty)
inbox.  I wish Pine didn't need that dummy message to do its thing.  Small
nuisence - certainly not a show-stopper nor something to get me to quit
using Pine.