transfering linux system to another hard drive

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Tue Dec 4 15:50:56 EST 2001

Cheryl:

You should not think in terms of transferring your linux. The linux
operating system itself should be reinstalled.

Your data and configuration files, on the other hand, should be
transferred. The best mechanism is likely some kind of temporary storage
device, and an upload to someplace willing to accept the size of files
involved is probably a second choice, though likely untennable at modem
speeds. But you're on cable, right?

You mention tar'ing your /home directory. This is good. It can, and should
be restored after the new drive is installed. You should also take your
/etc tree and any important items from /var, such as /var/spool/mail,
/var/log (if you like), and /var/ftp and /var/www, if these exist.

Lastly, you should take /usr/local.

 On Tue, 4 Dec 2001, Cheryl Homiak
wrote:

> I apologize for the cross-post, but I'm trying to get info as soon as
> possible; even if somebody has just seen this on one of these lists and
> can steer me toward the correct archive it would be appreciated.
> My hard drive with linux is failing; I have just obtained a 20gig drive
> which will have both my dos and linux on it. All drives--my dying linux
> drive, my old and tiny dos drive, and my new drive--are all connected to
> the computer. I will have to partition the hard drive, but it is being
> recognized correctly in the bios and linux. Eventually, the dying drive
> (hda) will be removed as will the dos drive (hdd) and the new drive (hdb)
> will become hda.  I want to know if there is a way to transfer my linux
> from the dying 2.5gig drive to the new 20gig; I am assuming I will first
> need to partition the hard drive and the partitioning will probably be
> somewhat different from the old drive due to the difference in size.
> Sorry for the info repeat to those on blinux.
> I know I saw a discussion of just this problem somewhere recently but
> haven't been able to locate it.
> Also, can I make my partition that will hold dos with linux since I have
> no data already onthe hard drive to protect?
> thanks.
> Cheryl

				Janina Sajka, Director
				Technology Research and Development
				Governmental Relations Group
				American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)

Chair, Accessibility SIG
Open Electronic Book Forum (OEBF)
http://www.openebook.org

Surpassing Gutenberg, at http://www.afb.org/ebook.asp

http://www.afb.org/mlkweb.asp

Learn how to make accessible software at
http://www.afb.org/accessapp.asp