transfering linux system to another hard drive

Cheryl Homiak chomiak at chartermi.net
Tue Dec 4 09:29:31 EST 2001

I apologize for the cross-post, but I'm trying to get info as soon as
possible; even if somebody has just seen this on one of these lists and
can steer me toward the correct archive it would be appreciated.
My hard drive with linux is failing; I have just obtained a 20gig drive
which will have both my dos and linux on it. All drives--my dying linux
drive, my old and tiny dos drive, and my new drive--are all connected to
the computer. I will have to partition the hard drive, but it is being
recognized correctly in the bios and linux. Eventually, the dying drive
(hda) will be removed as will the dos drive (hdd) and the new drive (hdb)
will become hda.  I want to know if there is a way to transfer my linux
from the dying 2.5gig drive to the new 20gig; I am assuming I will first
need to partition the hard drive and the partitioning will probably be
somewhat different from the old drive due to the difference in size.
Sorry for the info repeat to those on blinux.
I know I saw a discussion of just this problem somewhere recently but
haven't been able to locate it.
Also, can I make my partition that will hold dos with linux since I have
no data already onthe hard drive to protect?
thanks.
Cheryl