VmWare:

Dawes, Stephen Stephen.Dawes at gov.calgary.ab.ca
Wed Aug 29 09:53:30 EDT 2001

I have changed the subject line, because this thread appears to be
misleading, and the topic being discussed lately is VmWare.

VmWare, Will run under Linux, Windows NT4, and Windows 2000.  Giving the
user a great deal of flexibility of how they want to install and use it.
Regardless of the operating system that it is installed on, you can run
multiple versions / configurations of all of the operating systems that
it supports.  Which, by the way, goes beyond the 3 I listed above, as
the above 3 being the operating systems that VmWare runs under.

In answer to the question of VmWare needing X-Windows, the answer is
sort of.  In my research of the product, I was told by the people at
VmWare directly, that X-Windows is needed to install and initial
configure VmWare.  But that, once it is installed, you could launch it
from a bash script, that would launch X and then VmWare.  I was also
told, that you could make this part of a login script, so that when you
logged in to a particular user, you would have the VmWare environment
immediately running.

If you go to
www.vmware.com
and read the documentation there, you will learn more.

Once VmWare is installed, you can then install any of the operating
systems that VmWare supports, and be off to the races.

Stephen Dawes B.A. B.Sc.
Web Business Office, The City of Calgary
PHONE:  (403) 268-5527.
FAX: (403) 268-6423
E-MAIL ADDRESS:  Stephen.Dawes at gov.calgary.ab.ca