A question from a newbie...

Rodney Clowdus rclowdus at kcnet.com
Tue Aug 28 13:00:39 EDT 2001

The Suse 7.1 or later distro says right on the box that a blind person can
install with a braille monitor.  Sure enough when I installed Suse on my
second harddrive the first thing the installation process looked for was a
braille monitor.  I don't have a braille monitor or braille pad or
whatever but I thought that it was interesting that the message "looking
for braille display" flashed on the screen when I first installed Suse.  I
paid twenty nine dollars for the Suse 7.1 personal version.  It's
virtually no different from using any other Linux distro once it's
installed when you work in the console mode with the exception that it
does have a powerful setup tool called yast.  I personally think blind
people will like yast as it will run while in console mode.  Oh by the way
there is also yast2 which will run likewise.  I tried yast2 in x windows
enviroment and I like it much much better running from the console mode.
	Well anyway to answer the question about the kernel.  Suse uses
the latest kernel 2.4 or later and it has another big plus.  It uses the
journaling file system ReiserFS which is super!  I know from facts that it
runs over ten times faster when reading large files. A friend of mine at
the linux user group meeting who has been using Unix and Linux for many
years was amazed how much faster ReiserFS was.  He also said that yast is
heavy duty and a very reliable  setup tool.  I'm not trying to promote one
distro over another per say but I do like the features of Suse very much.
I'm slowly going blind and I'm  trying many things to prepare myself to
help others who are blind to use Linux and so far Suse seems to be on top
of the latest technology.  Suse is bold to say that the Personal Editon
7.1 is  entirely suitable for the blind and I have not seen anything to
the contrary.  I found this info out some months ago while I was reading
Linux Today news when they announced the first distro for the blind.
That's when I went to Best Buy to buy my copy of Suse Linux Personal
Edition 7.1.  I just installed it about two weeks ago after I bought a
second harddrive to install it on.  I'm impressed to say the least.

The Weaving Beaver
rclowdus at kcnet.com
"Chop your own firewood and it will warm you twice."
"Weave your own cloth and it will reward you twice."