Hewlet Packard and Linux

Charles Crawford CCrawford at ACB.org
Fri Aug 24 11:52:15 EDT 2001

Janina and all,

	I agree that ACB would not be putting speech on a server located where
nobody needs it.  I do think however that if we are looking at Linux as an
open system as a major selling point and if we are to force consideration
of speech interfacing to at least mitigate the damages that can be done by
full speed ahead Gui development, then we need to take some advocacy
position that gets the attention of companies.  While the same points can
be made on a relative scale about Microsoft, there is the underlying value
of openess to Linux that could easily get lost on our issues if we do not
take a more proactive stance.

	I had for example an exchange of email with the owner of an accessibility
software house in which I pointed out that Linux ought to be
supported.  The answer was no market, and until there is one; not much will
happen.

	So the bottom line is if we want to advance Linux as a solution then it
must compete in the mainstream for access as well as other things.

	Hope this made some sense.

-- Charlie.