Hello to everyone

Kerry Hoath kerry at gotss.net
Thu Aug 23 18:25:27 EDT 2001

What's this? "Resume in the old dos days!"
Of course we have zmodem; but then again we have things that are better.
Many sites that let you download cd images also support rsync and if you run that
in partial mode you can resume where you left off.
Getright and gozilla and other download managers also support resume for ftp and http
1.1 downloads so even if you are using the evil OS
all is not lost.
Here in Australia a set of say Debian cds costs me $11. That's a 3 cd
set so we're looking at aprox $4 per cd. I talk
in Australian currency. This is so damn cheap
you just lash out and buy a set rather than spending 105 hours
downloading 3 cds worth.
Many of our isps impose a bandwidth cap; Telstra cable for
example (which I don't have) sets a 3gig cap
on transferrs per month.
Also; some drives can have trouble with burnt cds from some manifacturers, and
pressed cds seem to read faster in most drives anyway.
They are also more resistant to heat light etc.
Cd burning is cool and I do plenty of it;
but when Linux cds are so cheap I do my bit to not conjest tje met amd biu sp,e/

Some projects like freebsd etc also get revenue from cd sales.
Regards, Kerry.