lookin' good

Charles Hallenbeck chuckh at mhonline.net
Sat Aug 18 06:44:55 EDT 2001

It is helpful to remember that there are four steps to solving difficult
problems: application, incubation, inspiration, and verification.

1. Application: work your butt off, burn the midnight candle, hit the
books, try everything you can think of;
2. Incubation: Take a break, sleep on it, do something else, be good to
your spouse for a change!
3. Inspiration: AH HA! Eureka! Why didn't I think of that sooner? How
obvious! I am so clever I really feel stupid!
4. Verification: Better try out your brilliant fix, maybe you overlooked
something, put your money where your mouth is, maybe you are not as bright
as you thought you were in step 3, but just maybe you really are.

Danger danger danger!!! Steps 1 and 4 are hard work and must not be
skipped. It does not do you any good to sleep on it if you have not done
your homework, and sometimes a brilliant idea that comes to you in a dream
is really not that brilliant when you put it to the test, so ALWAYS put
it to the test in the cold light of day.

Visit me at http://www.mhonline.net/~chuckh