my Debian box is less sick, but help

Frank Carmickle frankiec at braille.uwo.ca
Thu Aug 16 15:26:06 EDT 2001

Sorry for not answering your mail you sent me off the list.
On Thu, 16 Aug 2001, ScottHowell wrote:

> Ok, I was wrong about the boot msg. I had said the error was concerning
> lilo and the fact the kernel was uncompressing and the box hung, but turns
> out I was confused. Yes, that was with Slackware 8. The Debian boot error
> is lilo saying,
>
> invalid compressed format system haulted. I imagine I can fix this by
> cooking a new kernel on another box and move it over. The odd part is the
> kernel I am attempting to use is the one from the boot floppy. Really
> weird part is I can boot from that floopy so go figure.

wow!  Have no idea.

> THe other problem is I keep getting a message that
>
> init init id 1 is responding to fast, disabling for five minutes.
>
> What's that all about and oh, I only have 3 out of 6 consoles. I think
> I'll try to reinstall, but if that isn't necessary, I'd rather not.

Yep the initab that was included with potato at one point, of which I
can't remember, was majorly screwed.  You should edit the inittab and find
where the respawning to quickly is happening.  I can't remember where it
is but if you send me a copy of your inittab I can fix it for you.

> Help much appreciated. Oh, lastly I can't seem to install any packages do
> dist upgrades etc. I'll include the error below on that.

A nice sources.list should look like this.

deb ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian woody main contrib
deb ftp://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US woody/non-US main contrib

If you use anything to do with security.debian.org when using the woody
release you will get errors.  There are no security releases for woody and
there probably won't be any until it stabilizes.  However it's strange that
there are security releases for sid which happens to be more bleeding edge
then woody.  Go figure.

In fact your inittab may get updated when you do the updates.

--
     Frank Carmickle
phone:     412 761-9568
email:     frankiec at dryrose.com