burning CD's in linux

Jacob Schmude jacobs at surferie.net
Mon Apr 16 18:17:21 EDT 2001

Hi
     ActuAlly, if you do it right, the IDE driver will ignore the device
even when the drivers are modularized. I highly recommend modularizing these
drivers, so they won't bloat your kernel. Basically, the loading order is
this:
ide-scsi
sr_mod
sg
     These are the module names and in what order they should be loaded.
Note that you can load sg before sr_mod if you want, just make absolutely
sure ide-scsi is loaded first. To get the ide driver to ignore it, edit your
/etc/lilo.conf and find the append line, the one where you insert extra
kernel parameters. If you don't have an append line, create one under your
main kernel image. Now, if your IDE writer is /dev/hdd, the line will look
like this:
append="hdd=ide-scsi"
     Note that if you do have an append line with parameters in it already,
simply add this one into it. Remember to substitute hdd with the correct
device. It is the IDE device you want here, not the SCSI device that it will
become.

     Basically, you'll want to make sure the following kernel options are
selected: IDE/atapi cd-rom support, scsi emulation support, scsi support,
scsi cd-rom support, and scsi generic support. All of them should be
modularized, except for the IDE/atapi cd-rom driver which you should include
in your kernel. YOu will not need any of the SCSI card adapter drivers.

HTH