burning CD's in linux

Kerry Hoath kerry at gotss.eu.org
Mon Apr 16 07:42:29 EDT 2001

Not really. Linux uses a 4meg fifo
and the drive's buffer by default. My minfill ration on the fifo
is 92% of 4megs so that's rather full. Provided you don't
thrash the disks too much too often you shouldn't empty the fifo that easily.
Putting the burner and the hard drive on the same controller is a stupid idea, they'll fight
for contention of the IDE interface, best put
the drive you are burning from and writer on different interfaces wherever possible.

When I say thrashing the disks I mean activities like loading emacs,
running updatedb, doing a find across the filesystem.
I've read mail and used speak_freely and played mp3 files whilst burning. Linux
is a lot more rugged regarding fifo especially since it
uses both the drive buffer and an in-memory fifo. I've never had
a buffer underrun under Linux yet but it can happen.

Regards, Kerry.